All property of 38 Studios and Big Huge Games to be sold
All IPs and assets from defunct developers going to auction in November
Heritage Global Partners today announced that they have been appointed to oversee the sale of all video game and video game related intellectual property rights owned by Rhode Island-based 38 Studios.
Assets to be offered include intellectual property rights in the Amalur fantasy universe. These items include:
• Sequel rights to Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning, including development concepts, game artwork and designs
• Merchandise rights and revenue streams associated with the Xbox 360, PS3 and PC title Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning
• Intellectual property rights in Big Huge Games’ properties including the PC strategy title Rise of Nations as well as Rise of Legends and the Xbox Live Arcade title Catan
• In house developed video game technology including the Big Huge Games Engine and 38 Studios’ gaming, social media and development platform codenamed Helios
• Project Copernicus, an in development Massively Multiplayer Online Role Playing Game (MMORPG), completed character races and playable zones
The 38 Studios Auction - an online auction sale led by Heritage Global Partners - will take place November 13-14, 2013.
Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning was the first game from the state-funded studio, released on PC, Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 in February 2012. However, as it failed to meet sales expectations, the staff was let go and studio closed shortly after.